Services I can provide in this area:
- Workshops for elementary teachers in math content and best instructional practices
- Training in developing a mathematical problem-solving culture in the elementary classroom
- Consulting to design a rigorous, standards-based elementary math curriculum which students and teachers will love
- Review of your existing mathematics curriculum and instruction to recommend a plan of action
I bring more than 20 years of experience teaching and supervising mathematics, so I understand the unique challenges of creating a culture and environment for depth and rigor in the math classroom. Today it is more important than ever that students learn transferable problem solving skills, and I can help you create curriculum and instruction to make it a reality.
My work in mathematics includes:
- 5 Principles of the Modern Mathematics Classroom: Creating a Culture of Innovative Thinking, a new book from Corwin Press coming Fall 2015.
- Redesign of a district elementary math program to provide deeper learning for all students, including professional development and supplemental enrichment resources, resulting in increased student growth
- Training 250 K-8 teachers in understanding the Common Core State Standards and aligning curriculum to those standards
- A series of articles for principals to support staff development, highlighted in the June 2013 issue of ASCD’s Educational Leadership
- Development of the Connected Teachers website to curate useful digital tools for teaching math and science